Week 5 – Jude and Cardan!

What??

I’m bored, okay? It’s only Week 5 and I’m already dying over here. I’m sorry, I just don’t have the inspiration right now. Until a few days ago when I thought it was a good idea to draw characters from books. I don’t know where it came from, but here we go! Our first victims are Jude and Cardan, from the Folk of the Air Trilogy (would highly recommend, 10/10).

Reference

This week I used 2 reference photos. One of the perspective, one of Jude and Cardan (depicted by JessDraws).

Jude and Cardan
Perspective Photo

The Process

This time, I made sure to videotape the whole process! It took about 1 and a half hours to complete, but the setup time took 30+ mins for me to get the right angle of the camera. Even then, it still wasn’t good since it was at a slight angle, which messes up the viewpoint. It also took me 30 mins to get into the ease of drawing with cameras rolling. I was very tense for the most part up until the end, when I finally relaxed.

SPOILER ALERT: DO NOT READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU PLAN TO READ/ARE READING THE TRILOGY.

Some things I love about the artwork are some of the details. I really like mini easter eggs, since it feels so good to be able to see it. Compared to other artworks I’ve made, this artwork contains very little easter eggs, but more than my previous artworks in Genius Hour since I am drawing something I like this time. I like the parking lot depiction in the background, as Cardan does go to a parking lot in the last book. He seems to respect a lot of the mortal culture even after him being especially rude to Jude. (It’s a enemies to lovers trope). I like Cardan’s crown, it’s always cute. Also, it’s in the cover of every book of the trilogy, which means it’s pretty important (hint hint). Jude is always very cute with her lil’ horns and I love the way she’s looking in the artwork. I also added a little star and moon earrings, the one Locke steals from her. Honestly, I love it so much.

Jude Duarte and Cardan Greenbriar

Here’s the video I promised you! It’s really sped up. Also, do you see the part when I wrap my water cup with paper towels? Yeah, I punctured a hole into the bottom of the cup. Also yes, I don’t know how that happened.

Final Thoughts

Overall, this was a really great project. It took way less time to draw than the last project. I’m happy with a 2 hour artwork of this. I think the lighting doesn’t match the reference, but that it also has it’s own part in it. I love the way I did their shading, it really is wonderful. Or maybe I’m becoming delusional because I’m writing this at night. I am quite surprised by how quickly this was finished, I was prepared for doing it in two days, as I was sure I wouldn’t finish it. Some things I would change would be the lighting, and maybe the background. The background should be more in the background, but this one looks sorta with the artwork. I don’t know if that’s good or not. I also see Jude’s right eye (our left) is very pale. I didn’t intend for it to be very colourless and will pay attention to make both eyes the same colour. There is also an issue with how Jude is positioned. I think that she looks sorta weird with the pants being gray and the shirt being beige. It looks cut out a bit and I don’t know what happened. I will try to make clothing look more natural in the future. Next time, I will actually use a good quality water cup, so it doesn’t leak everywhere while I’m painting. I also think that I will use a different pose, as it is clear that I do not have much trouble with this one. Onto the next victims from other book series!

Published inArt TechniqueGenius Hour

2 Comments

1. Mrs. Englot

I know the camera was hard to set up, but it’s a really cool way to showcase your process. You could consider including this is your presentation.

• rachelott22

Got it! Thanks a lot.