Week 2 – Starting?

Current Artworks

Some of my current artworks include:

Some unfinished works include:

Some failed/not-so-good works include:

Starting a New Piece

Time to go on Pinterest to find a reference photo! Here’s the one I chose:

I will only use a zoomed in version of the face for this artwork – better to focus on faces for now.

Which Style will I try to use?

I will try to use SamDoesArt’s style this week, which will definitely fail miserably, but that is beyond the point.

SamDoesArt Artwork

The Process

The Sketch

I have observed that SamDoesArt has a very organic way of drawing. He uses a minimal amount of colours and uses very natural shapes.

Adding Base Colour

In some of his education videos, he first applies a base colour to the portrait. Then he alpha locks it, which is basically making you only be able to colour the coloured part, not the background.

Add more colours

Then he recommends to add some warm and cold colours to be able to make the lighting existent. I decided to also add the other colours. We will see if it helps in the end.

Final Product and Thoughts

The final product is now out! I personally think this artwork really improved my skills compared to the last one. I really gave a lot of thought into it! Although, I can see some mistakes that are extremely clear. I will learn to change it next artwork.

Artwork 1 – 11/13/2022

Along with all the cool features Procreate offers, there is an option of a speed through of the whole process! Throughout the video, you can see me fiddling with a lot of different brushes and techniques, especially near the end.

Artwork 1 Video

I used 4 layers for this piece. Sketch, Rendering, Multiply, and Background.

Layers

As a reference photo from SamDoesArt to mimic his style, I chose this one:

Reference Photo 2

Compared to mines, you can see that his has more dimension and more contrasting. Mines is more bland and 2D. Next time I can work on that more. My favourite part of my art is probably the lighting effects that I used. It was out of my usual comfort zone, but it gave a bit of dimension to my piece and made me love it!

Areas for Improvement

Some improvement areas that I can clearly see are the right eye (left side for viewer) and the mouth. The mouth looks pretty nice when zoomed out with the whole piece, but it’s way too 2D and it is definitely not in the right shape for a 3/4 view. The eye was pretty good, but some blemishes have appeared over it and it now looks kinda blurred, which isn’t the best. I would rate this experience an 8/10.

Published inGenius Hour

Be First to Comment